DEFINITION OF COMMON PSYCHOLOGICAL TERMS
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior…
- Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior. Psychology is a multifaceted discipline and includes many sub-fields of study such areas as human development, sports, health, clinical, social behavior and cognitive processes. Psychology is really a very new science, with most advances happening over the past 150 years or so.
- A Psychologist studies cognitive, emotional, and social processes and behavior by observing, interpreting, and recording how people relate to one another and their environments. Psychologists have a doctoral degree in an area of psychology, the study of the mind and human behavior
- A Counselor helps people improve their well-being, alleviate distress and maladjustment, resolves crisis, and increases their ability to live more highly functioning satisfied lives.
- Psychotherapy is the treatment of mental and emotional disorders through the use of psychological techniques designed to encourage communication of conflicts and insight into problems, with the goal being personality growth and behavior modification.
- A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in treating psychotic mental illness through drugs.